[Nikto-discuss] db_404_strings processing

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Mon Nov 19 11:51:44 CST 2012

If I use curl -v to inspect it, it shows as a 404, though we return a
pretty big page with that.

It seems like all of these false positives are XSS related.  When I issue
that URL manually (in a web browser or via curl) I get the expected custom
404 page.

Among the vast volume of output from nikto are lines like this:

+ OSVDB-651:
/cgi-local/cgiemail-1.6/cgicso?query=<script>alert('Vulnerable')</script>:
This CGI is vulnerable to Cross Site Scripting (XSS).
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-02.html.
+ OSVDB-651:
/cgi-local/cgiemail-1.4/cgicso?query=<script>alert('Vulnerable')</script>:
This CGI is vulnerable to Cross Site Scripting (XSS).
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-02.html.
+ OSVDB-7022:
/calendar.php?year=<script>alert(document.cookie);</script>&month=03&day=05:
DCP-Portal v5.3.1 is vulnerable to  Cross Site Scripting (XSS).
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-02.html.

It could be that my theory on why this is happening is just plain wrong.

-G