[Nikto-discuss] What is an error

Thu Apr 26 06:41:46 CDT 2012

Hi,

I'm new to the list. In fact I thought these types of lists were now
obsolete as most organizations now use web based internet forums, yet
here we are! This takes me back a few years.

First let me say thank you for making the Nikto scanner available.

I have downloaded it an have it working successfully. I have even
managed to get it working from Nessus. However, I do have a couple of
issues that I would like to ask for assistance with:

1. Although the Nikto output tells you that is has found x number of
errors and x items were listed, it seems impossible to identify what
qualifies as an error and what does not. I've also looked at other
formats such as csv and html and am still confused. I would like to be
able to parse the output and highlight the errors to differentiate them
from the rest of the informational stuff.

2. Is it possible to output csv or html or even xlm to stdout? In order
to automate things a bit, I'm calling Nikto from a script and I require
to be able to take the return output from stdout in the appropriate
format and do something with it. Saving to a file is a problem and
rather messy when multiple scans against different hosts are scheduled.

Thanks.