[Nikto-discuss] Disabling interactive question

Vlatko Kosturjak kost at linux.hr
Tue Sep 7 19:11:54 CDT 2010

On 09/07/2010 05:54 PM, Sullo wrote:
> My concern with that is because we get a lot of updated versions for
> db_outdated this way. I'm not sure what setting it to 'no' would do to
> that, but in the end all the users would suffer (I think) from less
> data being submitted. I'd be curious to see what others think about
> this.

I understand. But such options (which breaks something), I would expect
in major rewrite/releases (i.e. in 3.x).

>> Problem is also to put "-ask no" in code which calls nikto as someone
>> might have older nikto (as part of Linux distribution).
> nikto-2.1.2 is the first to include the -ask option (previously it was
> just PROMPTS in the config file). I tested 2.00 (2.0.0) and if you
> supply -ask it just prints an error about it being unknown but
> continues execution, so I don't think this should be a problem.

I did not have time to test it myself, but thought to raise it up ASAP
because of major breakage :)

if previous nikto versions do not exit on unknown parameter - it's not
big problem as I thought it will be. It's great you tested it already!

> I wonder if when it prompts it should include a quick note as to how
> to disable prompting? Would that be a help, at least?

I guess that would help! Especially would help someone who upgraded
nikto and now his automatic tools/scripts does not work any more. I
guess having notice somewhere on the web would help as well.

Kost