[Nikto-discuss] Encoding in xml output

Erik Stephens erik at edgeos.com
Tue Mar 30 19:44:36 UTC 2010

On 3/29/10 8:36 AM, david lodge wrote:

> I'm interested in which malformed bits you found though - we should be
> trapping anything that can have strange characters within CDATA tags,
> anything else that gets through is a bug. Some redacted samples would
> be useful (or a copy and paste of the bad bit).

One bad byte I found was 0xca, as in:
"""
I n c . ca C o n t e n t S e r v e r
"""

Looks like 0xca is an E with circumflex in iso-8859-1 and the start of a
two-byte character in utf-8.  Doesn't look like valid utf-8.  I'm using
this as a reference:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf-8#Description

> IIRC, perl 5.6+, like python, uses UTF-8 internally. This is a pretty
> moot point at the moment as the databases and messages only use ASCII
> codes from<127. I'd go with UTF-8 to be safe :-)

I'm seeing this byte in plugins/db_tests (the ContentServer on), so
maybe it was just a typo and simpler to edit that file?

-Erik