[ISN] ...and now a word from one of our long time sponsors

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Wed Jun 14 04:04:58 EDT 2006

http://attrition.org/news/content/06-06-13.001.html

Cliff Notes: If you drink Coca-Cola products, email the 'coke reward'
code to cokerewards at attrition.org to support a bunch of wack job
heathens

How many times have you thought, "If everyone sent me one penny, i'd
be rich!?" In the case of attrition staff, maybe you thought "If
everyone sent me one beer, i'd need a new liver in three months!"

Attrition has been going strong for almost eight years now. In that
time we haven't plagued the site with ad banners, pop-ups, or even the
cute little google ad-words. We've accepted PayPal donations for
several years and raked in a whopping 250 bucks (which we are honestly
very thankful for). Our Amazon wishlists are never used, half the mail
we get is mindless drivel complaining about insipid crap that is
usually answered by actually reading the web pages. The box has been
fully replaced two times due to hardware problems, payments are
routinely made to our landlord for the bandwidth abuse and to keep him
too drunk to find our power plug. In short, this isn't a site based
around profit or self reward. We're more like those monks that inflict
self pain thinking it brings them closer to a higher power. Misguided,
pain-ridden, stupid monks.

Since we've long been fans of the sci-fi idea of 'micro payments', and
no system is in place for such a beast to really work, we've come up
with one. Now you too can actually support the site without sending us
money or hate mail. Chances are, you are a cracked-out coke fiend like
most of us.  I prefer the hard-core street drug they call "Coke Zero"
these days, moving on from the weak suburban "Diet Coke" or that
old-folks home "Caffeine Free Diet Coke" that Munge sips on between
shots of Everclear.  If you support Coca-Cola like a true patriot, and
not those Pepsi jerks like a terrorist would, then you are in the
perfect position to contribute.

Coca-Cola is running a promotion where you receive a code for each
purchase you make. With those codes, you register on one of their web
sites and type in the codes to earn points. Enough points and you can
earn various prizes, most of which are not worth the time to read
about on the web site. If you click around enough, you get to the
distant "10,000+ Points" reward list, and things become brighter. In
this "pipe dream"  category is a pretty swell Sony LCD HDTV that would
be a nice reward for the pain and suffering we're put through.

So, next time you are getting your fix, take a few seconds to type in
the coke code and mail it to us. Only takes a minute of your time and
you can spend the rest of the day bragging about how you supported a
non-profit site on the intarweb. The codes can be found inside the
bottle caps of 2 liter, 1 liter or 20oz bottles, or in the tear off
flap of 12-pack cases.  They can be found in just about every variety
of Coca-Cola products and look something like BNMW7 Y49XR 4X7VJ.

This is it net denizens. Some 100,000,000 of you out there, and all it
takes is 2,000 of you to mail in the code from a single 12-pack to
reach our goal. You would be showing a small token of appreciation for
eight years of hard work and it doesn't even require a visit to the
post office.  If you send in 100 points worth of codes (ten cases, or
33 bottles), we'll hook you up with private access to the old image
gallery we used to make available (shut down long ago due to bandwidth
abuse), which is up to 5,263 unique images of all varieties, and zero
advertisements.

That's it, simple and possibly rewarding. cokerewards at attrition.org

Cut this out and post it at your work lounge!

| E-mail Coca-Cola Reward Code |
|    to the heathens at        |