[ISN] Revenge-seeking university employee hacks into server

InfoSec News isn at c4i.org
Fri Jun 4 02:30:39 EDT 2004

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040602p2a00m0dm011000c.html

Mainichi Shimbun
Japan
June 2, 2004

A private university employee who hacked into the institution's
computer server in retaliation for being demoted has been arrested,
Tokyo police said.

Ryoichi Nakayama, 47, a clerk at Takachiho University in Suginami-ku,
Tokyo, is accused of violating the anti-hacking law.

"I committed the crime because I'm no longer able to do
computer-related work," he was quoted as telling investigators.

Nakayama used his own computer and a secret password to illegally
access the university's server on over 100 occasions between October
and December last year. He looked at e-mail sent to colleagues and
made its bulletin board inaccessible, investigators said.

Nakayama was hired as a computer expert at the university in 1998.
However, the university transferred him to its library as a clerk in
May last year after holding him responsible for defects in its
computer system's security network.