[Infowarrior] - Advertising in Windows has reached an exasperating new low

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Mar 10 06:34:04 CST 2017

Advertising in Windows has reached an exasperating new low

C'mon now.

Peter Bright - 3/9/2017, 5:40 PM

I don't know what triggers OneDrive advertisements in Explorer. I don't know if they appear in Windows 10 stable builds or just Insider Previews as a taste of things to come. I don't know that I even care any more.

But come on.

Nobody in Redmond thought, "Gosh, that's a little distasteful"? I mean, "Let's just turn our operating system into a billboard!" offends nobody?

Yes, you can turn the ads off—but it seems that you can only do so as collateral damage from killing off all notifications from file sync providers, so no, that's not a great option.

We asked the company for comment and were told:

< - >

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/microsoft-put-gross-ads-in-windows-explorer-and-i-dont-have-the-energy-to-be-angry/?comments=1