[Infowarrior] - OT: Head of DC National Guard ordered to step down after inauguration starts

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jan 13 12:17:42 CST 2017

Head of DC National Guard ordered to step down after inauguration starts

By Nikita Vladimirov - 01/13/17 12:46 PM EST 25

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/314184-head-of-the-dc-national-guard-to-be-removed-in-the-middle-of

The commanding general of the D.C. National Guard, Maj. Gen. Errol Schwartz, has been ordered to leave his post on Inauguration Day after he spent months preparing for the event.

Schwartz told The Washington Post that the order is effective Jan. 20, 12:01 p.m., which is when President-elect Donald Trump will be sworn into office.

He told the Post that “the timing is extremely unusual,” given that the commanding general is tasked with overseeing military operations, including air support, during the inauguration.

“My troops will be on the street,” Schwartz told the newspaper, adding that he will “see them off but ... won’t be able to welcome them back to the armory.”

Schwartz also said that he did not know why he has been asked to leave his post.

“I’m a presidential appointee, therefore the president [has] the power to remove me,” he said.

Immediately following his departure, Schwartz will be replaced by an interim chief who will continue to oversee the military operations during the inauguration.