[Infowarrior] - OT: RIP Lt.Gen. Harold Moore, USA

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Feb 13 21:34:21 CST 2017

Lt. Gen. Harold Moore, Whose Vietnam Heroism Was Depicted in Film, Dies at 94

Sam Roberts

Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore, whose fortitude saved most of his outnumbered battalion in 1965 in the first major battle between American and North Vietnamese troops — exploits immortalized in a book and a movie starring Mel Gibson — died on Friday at his home in Auburn, Ala. He was 94.

His death was confirmed by his son Col. David Moore who, like his brother Lt. Col. Stephen Moore and their father, was a West Point graduate.

General Moore recounted his battlefield heroics in 1992 in a best-selling book, “We Were Soldiers Once … and Young,” written with Joseph L. Galloway.

Mr. Galloway, as a 24-year-old war correspondent for United Press International, had witnessed the battle, one of the war’s bloodiest, in the I Drang Valley in November 1965. Mr. Gibson played General Moore in “We Were Soldiers,” the 2002 film adaptation of the book.

<-big snip->

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/us/harold-moore-dead-general-author-we-were-soldiers-once.html