[Infowarrior] - Defense Against the Dark Arts: Networked Propaganda and Counter-Propaganda

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Feb 27 08:24:11 CST 2017

Defense Against the Dark Arts: Networked Propaganda and Counter-Propaganda
February 24, 2017  Author Jonathan Stray

In honor of MisinfoCon this weekend, it’s time for a brain dump on propaganda — that is, getting large numbers of people to believe something for political gain. Many of my journalist and technologist colleagues have started to think about propaganda in the wake of the US election, and related issues like “fake news” and organized trolling. My goal here is to connect this new wave of enthusiasm to history and research.

This post is about persuasion. I’m not going to spend much time on the ethics of these techniques, and even less on the question of who is actually right on any particular point. That’s for another conversation. Instead, I want to talk about what works. All of these methods are just tools, and some are more just than others. Think of this as Defense Against the Dark Arts.

< - >

http://jonathanstray.com/networked-propaganda-and-counter-propaganda