[Infowarrior] - Wikileaks Leak Of Turkish Emails Reveals Private Details; Raises Ethical Questions

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jul 25 17:24:57 CDT 2016

(The group reportedly attacked Zeynep for pointing this out.  --rick)

Wikileaks Leak Of Turkish Emails Reveals Private Details; Raises Ethical Questions

from the whoo-boy dept

Last week, we (like many others) reported on the news that Turkey was blocking access to Wikileaks, after the site released approximately 300,000 emails, supposedly from the Turkish government. We've long been defenders of Wikileaks as a media organization, and its right to publish various leaks that it gets. However, Zeynep Tufekci, who has long been a vocal critic of the Turkish government (and deeply engaged in issues involving the internet as a platform for speech) is noting that the leak wasn't quite what Wikileaks claimed it was -- and, in fact appears to have revealed a ton of private info on Turkish citizens.

< - >

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160725/11391635062/wikileaks-leak-turkish-emails-reveals-private-details-raises-ethical-questions.shtml

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.