[Infowarrior] - Power Wars: How Obama justified, expanded Bush-era surveillance

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jan 24 13:23:57 CST 2016

Power Wars: How Obama justified, expanded Bush-era surveillance

Review: Veteran national security reporter has inside scoop on Obama White House.

by Cyrus Farivar - Jan 24, 2016 1:17pm EST

< - >

"[The Bush-Cheney Administration] puts forward a false choice between the liberties we cherish and the security we demand. I will provide our intelligence and law enforcement agencies with the tools they need to track and take out the terrorist without undermining our Constitution and our freedom."

—Senator Barack Obama, presidential campaign address on national security policy, August 1, 2007

"I think the American people understand that there are some trade-offs involved…I think it’s important to recognize that you can’t have a hundred percent security and also then have a hundred percent privacy and zero inconvenience. You know, we’re going to have to make some choices as a society."

—President Barack Obama, responding to the disclosure that the National Security Agency was systematically collecting records about Americans’ domestic phone calls in bulk, June 7, 2013

< - >

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/power-wars-how-obama-justified-expanded-bush-era-surveillance/

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.