[Infowarrior] - Text of Burr-DiFi Crypto Access Bill

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 8 10:49:22 CDT 2016

(x-posted)

A quick -- and decaffinated -- skim suggests something fairly Kafka-esque if not generally convoluted and unenforceable:  Tech companies must assist law enforcement with obtaining encypted data, but we're not going ..."to require or prohibit any specific design or operating system...."   Huh???   Am I incorrect in thinking this sounds like they're trying to respond to the concerns of LEO and 'do something' about the 'problem' for PR purposes but in actuality (if it gets enacted, which I doublt) it's really a wash.

They also define "government" to be any US federal, state, or local gov entity.

https://cryptome.org/2016/04/burr-decrypt-draft.pdf

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.