[Infowarrior] - Here's Every Email the NSA Got After Asking Americans for Tips on How to Protect Privacy

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Oct 20 12:35:00 CDT 2015

Here's Every Email the NSA Got After Asking Americans for Tips on How to Protect Privacy

By Jason Leopold

October 20, 2015 | 11:12 am

When then-NSA director Keith Alexander gave the keynote address at the Black Hat hackers convention in Las Vegas in 2013, he made an unusual pitch to the attendees: He asked them to help the NSA come up with ways to protect Americans' privacy and civil liberties.

"How do we start this discussion on defending our nation and protecting our civil liberties and privacy?" Alexander asked the crowd. "The reason I'm here is because you may have some ideas of how we can do it better. We need to hear those ideas."

There were some hecklers. Alexander's appeal came just a few weeks after journalists Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Barton Gellman first revealed details about the NSA's vast surveillance programs that targeted American citizens, information based on highly classified documents they received from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. Still, Alexander asked the attendees — and, on the NSA's website, all Americans — to send their suggestions to ideas at nsa.gov.

VICE News subsequently filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) with the agency to find out if anyone wrote. It took the NSA nearly two years to respond....

< - >

https://news.vice.com/article/heres-every-email-the-nsa-got-after-asking-americans-for-tips-on-how-to-protect-privacy

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.