[Infowarrior] - Snowden Deserves Petraeus-Like Deal, Backers Say

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Mar 5 13:15:32 CST 2015

Snowden Deserves Petraeus-Like Deal, Backers Say

Congressman: Leaks to impress a girlfriend are much worse than exposing unconstitutional surveillance.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/03/04/edward-snowden-deserves-david-petraeus-like-deal-backers-say

< - >

Meanwhile, Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., who has opposed mass surveillance programs Snowden exposed, bristled at the idea of comparing the criminal conduct of Petraeus and Snowden.

“Gen. Petraeus violated the law to impress a girlfriend,” he says. “Edward Snowden released confidential information in order to bring attention to overwhelming and pervasive constitutional violations.”

Snowden revealed “the fact that the Fourth Amendment seems to be shredded, the fact that the constitutional requirements of probable cause and particularity have been thrown out the window – these are things we never would have known but for his actions,” he says.

Grayson hopes the Obama administration will treat Snowden with even greater leniency, but he doubts that will happen.

“Petraeus is part of the club and Edward Snowden is not,” he says. “I don’t expect the kind of leniency that was shown to someone who is an insider will also be conferred on someone who is an outsider, particularly when you view the administration's abysmal record regarding whistleblowers in general.”

It's better to burn out than fade away.