[Infowarrior] - Samsung reverse its Windows Update plans

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jun 26 17:45:49 CDT 2015

Samsung Will Stop Breaking Windows Update With Its Crappy Bloatware

http://gizmodo.com/samsung-disables-windows-updates-to-favor-its-own-crapp-1713558005/1714247168

Earlier this week, a Microsoft security researcher wrote a scathing account of how Samsung’s SW Update tool (installed by default on all Samsung PCs) is disabling Windows Update, potentially leaving millions of computers vulnerable to critical security flaws. Thankfully, Samsung’s crack bloatware programmers have seen the light, and are pushing an update.

Samsung provided the following statement to Gizmodo, confirming the update:

“Samsung has a commitment to security and we continue to value our partnership with Microsoft. We will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days.”

An apology (or admission that breaking Windows Update in the first place was a really dick move) would’ve been nice, but we’ll take our functioning Windows Updates in either case. If you’re using a Samsung PC and haven’t uninstalled SW Update yet, keep your eyes peeled for an update in the next few days.

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.