[Infowarrior] - Copyright Law Is Eating Away At Our Cultural History: And It's Time To Fix That

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jan 29 19:30:52 CST 2015

Copyright Law Is Eating Away At Our Cultural History: And It's Time To Fix That

from the archiving-history-is-great dept

If you weren't under a social media-less rock a few weeks ago, you hopefully heard about the Internet Archive releasing over 2,000 MS-DOS video games, playable in the browser. As I noted to someone on Twitter, it was like half of my childhood on the screen. What I found truly amazing was that with every excited Twitter or Facebook comment I saw, it was about a different game. For me, it was things like Oregon Trail, Pole Position, Lode Runner and Championship Baseball (and also some college memories of avoiding studying by playing Scorched Earth -- hey, at least it sorta felt like I was learning physics). But for others it was something entirely different. Each person seemed to latch onto their own moment in history (and a new chance to procrastinate or waste time by reliving that experience).

< -  >

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150129/06091629847/copyright-law-is-eating-away-our-cultural-history-its-time-to-fix-that.shtml

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.