[Infowarrior] - Maker of TurboTax apologizes, offers $25

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Jan 25 17:56:46 CST 2015

Maker of TurboTax apologizes, offers $25
By Ellen Jean Hirst CHICAGO TRIBUNE  •  Sunday January 25, 2015 9:23 AM

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/01/25/maker-of-turbotax-apologizes-offers-25.html

Intuit, the maker of TurboTax software, apologized after an onslaught of consumer complaints about the unexpected need to buy an upgrade this year for some types of filings.

Intuit emailed several million TurboTax Deluxe customers on Friday who bought a CD or downloaded the product last year, a spokeswoman said. Those customers are eligible for a $25 rebate if they need to upgrade to TurboTax Premier or TurboTax Home & Business to file small-business, capital-gains or rental-property information.

“We have heard from many of you that you were surprised when you discovered the change,” general manager Sasan Goodarzi said in a letter to consumers. “No one likes this kind of a surprise, so we are taking immediate action to make things right and help you through this transition year.”

Customers can apply at www.turbotax.intuit.com/25back. Eligible customers should get a check within seven days, spokeswoman Julie Miller said.

The price of the CD or download version of TurboTax Premier is $89.99 and the Home & Business version is $99.99. The Deluxe version for 2013 returns is listed at $59.99.

“We clearly messed up here and didn’t communicate as broadly or proactively to our customers around these changes,” Miller said. “We caught them by surprise. They are absolutely rightfully unhappy about it. So we are both apologizing and offering the $25 back as a way to help with this unexpected financial impact.”

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.