[Infowarrior] - 10 Awful Tech-Industry Terms to Stop Using in 2016

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 27 17:55:41 CST 2015

Sunday, December 27, 2015

New Year Rant: 10 Awful Tech-Industry Terms to Stop Using in 2016

http://disruptivewireless.blogspot.fi/2015/12/new-year-rant-10-awful-tech-industry.html

In the spirit of the holiday season and New Year, this is another list about 2016.

But it's from me, so it's a rant, rather than clairvoyancy with a crystal-ball.

There's a bunch of words and concepts used in the technology industry that make you look like a fool, or at least lazy and sloppy. They're often meaningless, duplicitously-used to "misframe" an argument, or just generally cringe-worthy. Some of them I've tackled before, and yes, mea culpa, I've been guilty of some of them before too. But I've learned from the errors of the past, and apologise unreservedly for any historical fluffiness and telcowash.

So let's double-check our terminology in 2016, call out offenders, and make a collective New Year resolution to ditch the telco-industry b*llocks....

< -- >

Summary

So let’s have a collective New Year’s resolution to avoid telecoms-sector “trigger words” and acknowledge what we actually mean in 2016. Let’s get rid of:

	• Digital
	• OTT
	• Transformation
	• Seamless
	• Carrier-Grade
	• Engagement
	• Content
	• Rich
	• End-to-End
	• Ecosystem

And, I’m sad to admit, there’s also probably a number 11 that’s past it’s sell-by: “Disruptive”. But yeah, let’s forget about that one, given that I was disruptive before it went mainstream. I reckon I can claim some form of retro-irony exemption…

Rant over.

Happy New Year!

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.