[Infowarrior] - WH Supports Privacy Destroying CISA, Despite Past Promises It Would Not

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Dec 17 17:13:51 CST 2015

White House Supports Privacy Destroying CISA, Despite Past Promises It Would Not

from the this-is-a-problem dept

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151217/07512133110/white-house-supports-privacy-destroying-cisa-despite-past-promises-it-would-not.shtml

In the past, President Obama has threatened to veto any cybersecurity bill that undermines privacy and civil liberties. Of course, people didn't quite believe that was true, and now that we see  the final cybersecurity bill, the bastardized CISA has been attached to the "must pass" omnibus spending bill, and clearly is a disaster on privacy issues, what do you think the White House is saying?

Well, they love it, of course:

"We are pleased that the Omnibus includes cybersecurity information sharing legislation," a senior administration official said in an emailed statement. "The President has long called on Congress to pass cybersecurity information sharing legislation that will help the private sector and government share more cyber threat information by providing for targeted liability protections while carefully safeguarding privacy, confidentiality, and civil liberties."

Except, you know, it doesn't actually do that last part.

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.