[Infowarrior] - J.P. Morgan won't notify customers affected by breach

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Oct 3 17:57:14 CDT 2014

J.P. Morgan won't notify customers affected by breach
By Priya Anand
Published: Oct 3, 2014 6:28 p.m. ET
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/jp-morgan-wont-notify-customers-affected-by-breach-2014-10-03

J.P. Morgan Chase JPM, +2.48% won't notify those customers who have been affected by its summer security breach -- estimated to be two-thirds of U.S. households -- that their personal information was exposed, a spokesperson for the bank told MarketWatch. When asked why, the spokesperson said, "That's just what we're doing." The nation's largest bank said yesterday in a government filing that the breach affected 76 million U.S. households and 7 million small businesses, compromising names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and "internal JPMorgan Chase information relating to such users." The bank has posted a notice on its website and mobile app advising customers of  an "important update about cyber security.”