[Infowarrior] - The Fifth Surveillance: Corporate Spying On Non-Profits

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jul 12 08:17:40 CDT 2014

The Fifth Surveillance: Corporate Spying On Non-Profits

from the more-revolving-doors dept

In the age of innocence that was brought to an end by Edward Snowden's revelations, we broadly knew of three kinds of surveillance: the classic kind, by countries against other countries; the industrial kind, by companies against companies; and -- the most recent addition -- the Google/Facebook kind, carried out by companies against their customers. Snowden made us aware that countries also carried out large-scale surveillance against huge numbers of their own citizens, the vast majority of whom had done nothing to warrant that invasion of their privacy. But there's a fifth kind of surveillance that has largely escaped notice, even though it represents a serious danger for democracy and freedom: spying carried out by companies against non-profit organizations whose work threatens their profits in some way.

< - >

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140711/08223227850/fifth-surveillance-corporate-spying-non-profits.shtml