[Infowarrior] - CBP drone program larger than first reported

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jan 15 07:15:55 CST 2014

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/01/newly-discovered-drone-records-show-customs-border-protection-flew-its-predator

January 14, 2014 | By Jennifer Lynch

Customs & Border Protection Loaned Predator Drones to Other Agencies 700 Times in Three Years According to “Newly Discovered” Records

Customs & Border Protection recently “discovered” additional daily flight logs that show the agency has flown its drones on behalf of local, state and federal law enforcement agencies on 200 more occasions more than previously released records indicated.

Last July we reported, based on daily flight log records CBP made available to us in response to our Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, that CBP logged an eight-fold increase in the drone surveillance it conducts for other agencies. These agencies included a diverse group of local, state, and federal law enforcement—ranging from the FBI, ICE, the US Marshals, and the Coast Guard to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Investigation, the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation, the North Dakota Army National Guard, and the Texas Department of Public Safety.

< - >

Sen. Dianne Feinstein was concerned enough about drone surveillance to amend last term’s Senate Immigration Bill to restrict CBP’s flights in California to within three miles of the border. We should be similarly concerned about CBP’s flights throughout the country—especially when CBP still refuses to reveal exactly which state and local agencies it’s working with. We’ll be arguing just that point in the hearing on our Cross Motion for Summary Judgment in the case this coming Wednesday.