[Infowarrior] - Fun with predatory publishers

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sun Dec 7 19:46:37 CST 2014

A paper by Maggie Simpson and Edna Krabappel was accepted by two scientific journals

Updated by Joseph Stromberg on December 7, 2014, 9:00 a.m. ET

A scientific study by Maggie Simpson, Edna Krabappel, and Kim Jong Fun has been accepted by two journals.

Of course, none of these fictional characters actually wrote the paper, titled "Fuzzy, Homogeneous Configurations." Rather, it's a nonsensical text, submitted by engineer Alex Smolyanitsky in an effort to expose a pair of scientific journals — the Journal of Computational Intelligence and Electronic Systems and the comic sans-loving Aperito Journal of NanoScience Technology.

These outlets both belong to a world of predatory journals that spam thousands of scientists, offering to publish their work — whatever it is — for a fee, without actually conducting peer review. When Smolyanitsky was contacted by them, he submitted the paper, which has a totally incoherent, science-esque text written by SCIgen, a random text generator. (Example sentence: "we removed a 8-petabyte tape drive from our peer-to-peer cluster to prove provably "fuzzy" symmetries’s influence on the work of Japanese mad scientist Karthik Lakshminarayanan.”)

< - >

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/7/7339587/simpsons-science-paper