[Infowarrior] - DARPA Tried to Build Skynet in the 1980s

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Aug 1 11:17:34 CDT 2014

DARPA Tried to Build Skynet in the 1980s

Matt Novak

From 1983 to 1993 DARPA spent over $1 billion on a program called the Strategic Computing Initiative. The agency's goal was to push the boundaries of computers, artificial intelligence, and robotics to build something that, in hindsight, looks strikingly similar to the dystopian future of the Terminator movies. They wanted to build Skynet.

Much like Ronald Reagan's Star Wars program, the idea behind Strategic Computing proved too futuristic for its time. But with the stunning advancements we're witnessing today in military AI and autonomous robots, it's worth revisiting this nearly forgotten program, and asking ourselves if we're ready for a world of hyperconnected killing machines. And perhaps a more futile question: Even if we wanted to stop it, is it too late?

< big snip >

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/darpa-tried-to-build-skynet-in-the-1980s-1451000652