[Infowarrior] - more on: (privacy) Verizon cell customers - READ

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Apr 25 13:20:58 CDT 2014

From TC……and thanks for the detailed note!

"I saw this yesterday when I was checking something on my account and thought I would provide you with a bit more detail than the article below.   There was a message waiting for me regarding "The Verizon Wireless Relevant Mobile Advertising program will soon help marketers provide you with ads based on information they may have about your visits to websites from your desktop computer. Learn about your choices.:"  The link to the privacy choices page is nearly hidden in the text of the "Relevant Mobile Advertising Program Enhancement" page with only a slightly different color to the text.  The opt-out page is at http://www.vzw.com/myprivacy.  Note that there are three opt-outs per device (one for each program) "Customer Proprietary Network Information Settings", "Business & Marketing Reports", and Relevant Mobile Advertising"  . Verizon at least lets you "select all" in each category so I only had to click each "Save Changes" button once.  When I followed the link to "learn more" about the "Verizon Selects" program the site informed me that I was not signed up for that program but provided a helpful button to assist me in signing up.

Unfortunately, I only really have to choices of wireless carriers as far as the wireless network goes, and Verizon Wireless seems intent on losing it's status as the lesser evil of the two."