[Infowarrior] - Senators introduce bill to create teams of cyber guardsmen at state-level

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Mar 23 17:28:18 CDT 2013

Hrmmm.....this sounds a mite familiar.   Oh, yes:  I  proposed a very similar concept 15 years ago in Campen & Dearth's book 'Cyberwar 2.0'  (AFCEA Press, 1998)   --rick

Senators introduce bill to create teams of cyber guardsmen at state-level

By Jennifer Martinez	 - 03/22/13 04:51 PM ET

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/289931-senators-introduce-bill-to-create-teams-of-cyber-guards-at-state-level

A bipartisan group of eight senators introduced a bill on Friday that would establish teams of cyber guards in each state and territory that could be called upon to respond to local cyberattacks and computer security emergencies.

These cyber response teams would be part of the National Guard and could be activated by a state governor or the secretary of Defense to respond to a local cyber incident. The bill, called the Cyber Warriors Act, is designed to expand the cyber mission and capabilities of the National Guard, as well as boost the pool of skilled cyber professionals in the United States who are equipped to respond to computer security incidents.

“Terrorists could shut down electric grids in the middle of winter, zero-out bank accounts, or take down a stock exchange causing an unimaginable amount of disruption and harm. Meanwhile, our military and homeland cyber defense forces are thousands short of the need identified by our leaders," Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), the lead sponsor of the bill, said in a statement. "We must ensure that we can recruit and retain talented individuals who can protect our nation’s cybersecurity at home and abroad.”

The bill would also allow governors to call on the cyber guard to train state and local law enforcement on methods to defend computer networks from online threats and attacks, as well as develop best practices that would allow these local entities to work more cohesively with federal responders.

Additionally, the bill would require the secretary of Defense to report on ways to recruit and retrain more skilled cyber professionals. To this end, the Defense chief would report on the training requirements and demands in cyber-focused divisions and methods used to recruit members of the Armed Forces.

Boosting the nation's cybersecurity has become a top priority for President Obama and Congress this year after intelligence officials have warned about the rising cyber threat facing the country. When testifying before Congress this month, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said a cyberattack is the number threat to the country.

Top defense officials and lawmakers have issued warnings about the shortfall of skilled cyber professionals in the U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has talked about the urgent need to educate and develop the next generation of cyber defense workers.

Along with Gillibrand, Sens. Chris Coons (D-Del.), David Vitter (R-La.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), Mary Landrieu (D-La.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), Mark Warner (D-Va.) and Patty Murray (D-Wash.) also co-sponsored the bill.

The House is expected to vote on cybersecurity legislation next month, while the upper chamber will likely put forward a bill later this year.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/289931-senators-introduce-bill-to-create-teams-of-cyber-guards-at-state-level#ixzz2OP7TBvsV
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook