[Infowarrior] - More Details On US Copyright Reform Ideas

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 19 07:56:57 CDT 2013

More Details On Copyright Register Maria Pallante's Call For Comprehensive, 'Forward-Thinking, But Flexible' Copyright Reform

from the details,-details,-details dept

On Friday, we had two stories breaking the news that the Register of Copyright is expected this week to call for comprehensive copyright reform, including both a slight reduction in term as well as some of other changes. It's somewhat surprising that (as far as I can tell), no other publications are reporting on this, considering the magnitude of this bit of news. There was a brief bit of speculation in Billboard, but most other publications have stayed silent so far.

Today we have even more details. First, we have Pallante's expected testimony on Wednesday before the IP subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee. It's a pretty short and simple piece that basically says "let's get this process started, because Copyright Reform is going to be a long and arduous process, but it needs to be done." And, as we noted last week, it sounds like a lot of stuff is on the table....

< big snip >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130318/11114922368/more-details-copyright-register-maria-pallantes-call-comprehensive-forward-thinking-flexible-copyright-reform.shtml