[Infowarrior] - If Most Crime Involves A 'Cyber' Element, Can't We Just Call It Crime Instead Of Cybercrime?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Mar 5 13:36:47 CST 2013

(But 'cyber' sounds COOL!!!!!!!!  ---rick)

If Most Crime Involves A 'Cyber' Element, Can't We Just Call It Crime Instead Of Cybercrime?

from the scary-scary-internet dept

It is a standing modern truth that you can take a scary word in the English language and turbocharge its terror factor by putting the word "cyber" in front of it. Don't believe me? Murder. Some guy stabs or shoots me. Cyber-murder. Holy crap! A dude can reach through the computer and electrocute my face! The problem, as we've discussed  previously, is that many of the supposed facts used to hype cybercrime are massively overstated, and the unfortunately resulting hysteria breeds atrocities like The Patriot Act, because computers are terrifying and apparently the government is not. Of course, it doesn't end with crime. Cyberwar, cyber-terrorism, these words now permeate the bloodstream like terrifying nanobots, all while the use of technology and the internet marches forward at incredible rates.

But is the term "cybercrime" even useful anymore? When NYC district attorneys like Manhattan's Cyrus Vance suggest that pretty much all crime includes a cyber element, can't we just drop the scare words and go back to calling it "crime?"

< - >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130304/06541422191/if-most-crime-involves-cyber-element-cant-we-just-call-it-crime-instead-cybercrime.shtml