[Infowarrior] - Navy completes 1st unmanned carrier landing

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jul 12 13:40:58 CDT 2013

(c/o DG.   Why am I reminded of that movie 'Stealth' from a few years ago? --rick)

Navy completes 1st unmanned carrier landing
.
ABOARD THE USS GEORGE H.W. BUSH (AP) — The Navy successfully landed a drone the size of a fighter jet aboard an aircraft carrier for the first time Wednesday, showcasing the military's capability to have a computer program perform one of the most difficult tasks that a pilot is asked to do.

The landing of the X-47B experimental aircraft means the Navy can move forward with its plans to develop another unmanned aircraft that will join the fleet alongside traditional airplanes to provide around-the-clock surveillance while also possessing a strike capability. It also would pave the way for the U.S. to launch unmanned aircraft without the need to obtain permission from other countries to use their bases.

< - >

http://news.yahoo.com/navy-completes-1st-unmanned-carrier-landing-200130982.html