[Infowarrior] - Google blocks Windows Phone from Maps, limits Gmail

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Jan 5 14:40:35 CST 2013

Is GOOG 2013 taking lessons from MSFT 1998?  --rick

Google blocks Windows Phone from Maps, limits Gmail
posted by Thom Holwerda	 on Sat 5th Jan 2013 14:53 UTC

And so this situation is starting to get ridiculous - and consumers are, as usual, caught in the middle of it all. Google has just blocked Windows Phone devices from accessing Google Maps on their phones. In addition, it also seems Windows Phone users are now restricted to the basic HTML version of the mobile GMail website. While understandable from a defensive perspective - Microsoft's extortion scheme targeting Android device makers and all that - it's still a massive dick move that only hurts consumers.
The block is enforced through a simple redirect using the browser's user agent. If the user agent includes 'Windows Phone' and visits the mobile version of Google Maps, the user is redirected to Google's main page - no explanation, nothing. In addition, it seems a similar block has been put in place for mobile Gmail. I distinctly recall being able to access the full mobile Gmail web client on my HD7 running Windows Phone 7.x (confirmed by Peter Bright), while both my HD7 and my 8X are now limited to the crappy basic HTML version.

The assumption was first that this was a simple bug, unintentionally caused by changes by Google. It seemed hard to believe any company would stoop as low as to use a basic user agent-based redirects to prevent users from a perfectly capable browser from accessing its services. And yet, that's exactly what Google is doing - it simply admitted to such in a statement to Gizmodo......

< - >

http://www.osnews.com/story/26669/Google_blocks_Windows_Phone_from_Maps_limits_Gmail