[Infowarrior] - The (idiotic) paranoia of classification

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Jan 3 07:01:55 CST 2013

The bit about a "classified orange" is pathetic.  Amusing, but pathetic.  --rick

(c/o Schneierblog)

Forbidden spheres

Posted August 29th, 2012 by Alex Wellerstein

Spheres are special shapes for nuclear weapons designers. Most nuclear weapons have, somewhere in them, that spheres-within-spheres arrangement of the implosion nuclear weapon design. You don’t have to use spheres — cylinders can be made to work, and there are lots of rumblings and rumors about non-spherical implosion designs around these here Internets — but spheres are pretty common.

Spheres also happen to be fairly common sights in the non-nuclear weapons design as well. What interests me is what happens when you take a perfectly non-nuclear sphere, like, say, a soccer ball, and move it into a nuclear context. To the trained eye, it takes on a rather interesting new meaning:

< - >

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/blog/2012/08/29/forbidden-spheres/