[Infowarrior] - Six Strikes Officially Begins On Monday

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Feb 22 17:19:07 CST 2013

Six Strikes Officially Begins On Monday

from the warm-up-your-vpns dept

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130222/14191722072/six-strikes-officially-begins-monday.shtml

Kevin Collier over at the DailyDot claims he's got it on good authority that the "six strikes" system, officially known as the Copyright Alert System, officially kicks off on Monday, many months later than scheduled. For whatever reason, the organization behind the program, the Center for Copyright Information, has been insisting for some time that there was no official rollout date, and the various ISPs would be individually choosing when to turn on the random assortment of punishment mechanisms made available to copyright holders based entirely on accusations, not conviction or other proof. Apparently, what they meant was that everyone would roll it out in a single week, but on different days. Because that makes so much sense.

The ISPs—industry giants AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, and Verizon—will launch their versions of the CAS on different days throughout the week. Comcast is expected to be the first, on Monday.

So, now we get to watch people get falsely accused, those with open WiFi suddenly have to fear bogus slow downs to their networks and other assorted collateral damage. Oh, and does anyone actually expect to see a sudden spike in "sales"?

Oh, and the Center for Copyright Information has put up a snazzy new website and video over some non-descript smooth jazz that I'm sure they licensed, and which practically screams the following basic message (note: message paraphrased): "Hey, we're just your friendly neighborhood copyright maximalists, out here trying to make friends and, oh, oops, we just wanted to let you know, in the friendliest way possible, that we think you're lying, thieving pirates, and we'd really like it if you stopped, or we might have to make your internet connection completely useless. But we don't want to have to do that, because we're all friends here, enjoying the internet. Isn't the internet great?"

The video makes a few blatantly ridiculous claims, including suggesting that they have some foolproof technology for seeing whenever you infringe. They claim that the system is designed to "support the creative work that we all love and enjoy." Which is kind of amusing, since nothing in the system is about giving people a reason to buy. Just a reason to get pissed off at ISPs and copyright holders for making accusations. I'm sure that's going to convince so many people to buy.