[Infowarrior] - Breaking the TLS and DTLS Record Protocols

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Feb 7 08:09:29 CST 2013

http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/tls/

The Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol aims to provide confidentiality and integrity of data in transit across untrusted networks like the Internet. It is widely used to secure web traffic and e-commerce transactions on the Internet. Datagram TLS (DTLS) is a variant of TLS that is growing in importance. We have found new attacks against TLS and DTLS that allow a Man-in-the-Middle attacker to recover plaintext from a TLS/DTLS connection when CBC-mode encryption is used. The attacks arise from a flaw in the TLS specification rather than as a bug in specific implementations. We have carried out experiments to demonstrate the feasibility of the attacks against the OpenSSL and GnuTLS implementations of TLS, and we have studied the source code of other implementations to determine whether they are likely to be vulnerable. There are effective countermeasures against our attacks and we have worked with a number of TLS and DTLS software developers to prepare patches and security advisories.

http://www.isg.rhul.ac.uk/tls/