[Infowarrior] - A Tour Through The Bizarre Mind Of An NSA Defender

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Dec 3 13:28:07 CST 2013

A Tour Through The Bizarre Mind Of An NSA Defender: Discrediting Activists By Using Their Porn Surfing Is Just Like Journalism!

from the i-don't-even... dept

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131127/17552525397/tour-through-bizarre-mind-nsa-defender-discrediting-activists-using-their-porn-surfing-is-just-like-journalism.shtml

Oh, Stewart Baker. It's getting to the point where I feel like we may even need a "Oh, Stewart Baker" topic here on Techdirt, given how often we seem to feel the need to utter that phrase. Baker, if you haven't been playing along with the home version, is the former NSA and DHS official who really likes to support the ability of the government to spy on everyone and really seems to dislike civil liberties. Oh, and he has this incredible way of making statements so blatantly ridiculous that, personally, I find it scary that the government apparently trusted him in multiple really important positions. Let's go through some of the examples before getting to the latest wacky claim.

< - >

That Baker can't see the difference between having access to that corpus of data through questionable means and journalism is, well, stunning. It gives you a picture into the mind of an NSA defender, however. It's a picture where he will cling to and distort pretty much any argument to try to defend the indefensible.