[Infowarrior] - Hollywood 'caught' giving identical scripts to Congress

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Aug 7 14:31:48 CDT 2013

Dear Hollywood: Giving Identical Scripts To Congress Reveals That You're Feeding Them Talking Points

from the gotta-keep-track-of-which-congress-person-is-shilling-for-hollywood-today... dept

So we already covered last week's Congressional hearings concerning technology and copyright. As we noted, there was some really great testimony from a variety of individuals who are really working hard to provide great products and services that are enabling much greater creativity (often relying on fair use) and doing so without having to worry about strict intellectual property (in fact, often thriving by ignoring their own intellectual property entirely). Unfortunately, as was expected, some in Congress attacked the speakers using copyright maximalist talking points. At times you could just tell that the Representatives were reading points fed to them by entertainment industry lobbyists. It happens. But usually, they don't make it quite this obvious.

That's because whoever fed the "Friends of Hollywood" Congressional Reps their questions last week forgot to make careful notes of who they gave which questions to... leading to a repeat. Congresswomen Judy Chu and Karen Bass both represent different parts of Los Angeles, so it's no surprise that they'd be there to carry water for the legacy entertainment industry. But,having both of them ask identical questions, word-for-word, one right after the other? That kinda reveals that they were fed that question, doesn't it? You can watch the full video here, or to make it easier, I've made a short YouTube video that shows the two questions back to back:

< - >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130806/23560024090/dear-hollywood-giving-identical-scripts-to-congress-reveals-that-youre-feeding-them-talking-points.shtml