[Infowarrior] - Scanning the Scanners: A Side-by-Side Comparison

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Oct 19 14:00:29 CDT 2012

Scanning the Scanners: A Side-by-Side Comparison
by Lena Groeger
ProPublica, Dec. 28, 2011, 9:42 a.m.

By 2014, the Transportation Security Administration plans to deploy body scanners at almost every airport security lane in America. The TSA uses two types of scanners: the millimeter wave and the X-ray backscatter. In our ongoing investigation, we’ve exposed details about each scanner’s health risks, false alarm rates and effectiveness. But to break it down further, here’s a side-by-side comparison of both types. Passengers can decline either scanner and get a pat-down instead.

http://www.propublica.org/special/scanning-the-scanners-a-side-by-side-comparison