[Infowarrior] - What Did We Do Before Photoshop?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Nov 29 14:48:57 CST 2012

What Did We Do Before Photoshop?
Posted by Tom LeGro , November 29, 2012

Just about every photograph we encounter, whether it's on a computer screen or in a magazine or on a billboard, has been retouched or manipulated digitally in some way, most likely using Photoshop. From simple retouching like removing red-eye, to complex manipulation like removing people, Photoshop has dramatically changed the way we use the medium of photography. Or has it?

An exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York shows how photographers long before the digital era regularly employed techniques of manipulation in their work. Some merely compensated for the medium's limitations, while others used manipulation to create obviously fabricated scenes.

For example, "Fake decapitation was the LOLcats of the 19th century," Mia Fineman, an assistant curator of photography at the Met and the author of the exhibition's accompanying catalog, told us.

We corresponded over email with Fineman about the show, "Faking It: Manipulated Photography Before Photoshop"...

< - >

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2012/11/slide-show-what-did-we-do-before-photoshop.html