[Infowarrior] - Jay Leno, NBC, and Copylaundering

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri May 25 06:40:54 CDT 2012

Copylaundering: Jay Leno Airs Campaign Video From YouTube, NBC Claims Ownership Of Original

from the what-a-neat-little-trick dept

This is easily one of the best responses to copyfraud I've ever read. Sure, Jay Leno is a pretty easy target for a roast, but musician Brian Kamerer does a brilliant job of taking him to task over a bogus YouTube takedown. I strongly suggest reading the whole thing, but here's the short version of what happened.

A few years ago, Brian helped a friend, who was running for mayor, create an intentionally silly campaign jingle and commercial, which they uploaded to YouTube. Two years later, they heard from another friend that the video had appeared on the Jay Leno Show as part of a segment about local campaign commercials. They just got a kick out of it, and moved on—until now, another three years later. Brian discovered that the YouTube video had been taken down on a copyright claim... by NBC (most likely as the result of a ContentID match as NBC uploaded old episodes into the system). So Leno mines the internet for material to air on his show—without permission or even the courtesy of letting them know—and then, years later, the network claims ownership of that material and accuses the actual creators and copyright holders of infringement. Brian is unimpressed, to say the least—and even supplies a script for how he imagines things went down:

< - >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120524/14064719069/copylaundering-jay-leno-airs-campaign-video-youtube-nbc-claims-ownership-original.shtml