[Infowarrior] - more on... RFI: Ooma v PhonePower

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Mar 28 14:46:11 CDT 2012

Only 1 response thus far, but I'm passing it along as promised.  -- rick

I tired of Vonage's increasing cost, so researched Ooma as my annual
renewal date approached. I purchased the Ooma Telo at Costco for around
$180. I wasn't sure if I'd need to also buy their handsets to make
everything work, but it turned out the transition from Vonage couldn't
have been much easier.

I have all of my house phone jacks plugged into a little box from Radio
Shack that terminates in a single RJ-11 plug. I removed that from the
Vonage box and plugged it into the Ooma box along with a network
connection and power (i.e., I swapped the Vonage box for the Ooma box).
After I rebooted my network, I got dial tone (or maybe it was after I
activated the box at their portal; I can't remember for sure, so it must
not have been too traumatic).

You can opt-out of their deluxe service via the portal now.

Quality is the same or better than Vonage.

I got Ooma in January and still have not seen a charge for taxes or
anything else.

I only have a few months of use in, but at this point I'd highly recommend
Ooma.