[Infowarrior] - MPAA Exec: Only We Can Make Content That People Want

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Mar 15 20:25:14 CDT 2012

MPAA Exec: Only We Can Make Content That People Want

from the 'scuse-me? dept

Sometimes I wonder if the execs who run the major copyright-related trade groups ever talk to actual people outside of their little bubbles. Because they say things that are so out of touch with reality that it's stunning. We already discussed the panel where the RIAA's Cary Sherman said that various ISPs will start acting as copyright cops by July, but some of the other statements on that panel are worth discussing as well. It was basically a panel of all the big copyright industry trade group associations -- the MPAA, the RIAA, the BSA (software) and the AAP (book publishers).

What was most stunning is the pure hubris of the MPAA's Fritz Attaway, who flat out claimed that only they can make content that people want:

"Our industries do something that no one else can do," the Motion Picture Association of America's Fritz Attaway said at the Association of American Publishers annual meeting this morning. "We create content that people want to have."

.... Actually, no, tons of others create content that people want to have, and it's the real reason you're struggling so much today. You're not used to competing with those outside your little club.

< - big snip - >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120314/14022218109/mpaa-exec-only-we-can-make-content-that-people-want.shtml