[Infowarrior] - More Navy pron: 'Top Gun 2' in the works?

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Mar 2 07:39:30 CST 2012

March 1st, 2012
11:30 AM ET
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/01/top-gun-2-goes-with-town-scribe/

'Top Gun 2' goes with 'Town' scribe

The reported "Top Gun 2" movie looks to be a little closer to becoming a reality: Variety reports that "The Town" writer Peter Craig has been hired to work out the script.

As fans of "The Town," if not fans of sequels to classic '80s films, this feels like good news. Variety adds that Jerry Bruckheimer will serve as producer along with David Ellison's Skydance Productions, and that director Tony Scott and star Tom Cruise are expected to take part in the sequel as well.

Reports surfaced in 2010 that Paramount was looking to continue the blockbuster 1986 picture, and Cruise told MTV last December that they were indeed "working on it," although he noted at the time that he didn't think screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie was going to pen the sequel.

Nonetheless, Cruise was hopeful that they'd be able to find a way to get the project off the ground.

"I hope we can figure this out to go do it again," he said at the time. "If we can find a story that we all want to do, we all want to make a film that is in the same kind of tone as the other one and shoot it in the same way we shot 'Top Gun.'"