[Infowarrior] - Big ISPs Expected To Start Six Strikes Program This Weekend

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Wed Jun 27 10:34:49 CDT 2012

Big ISPs Expected To Start Six Strikes Program This Weekend

from the just-what-we-need dept

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120627/01050319504/big-isps-expected-to-start-six-strikes-program-this-weekend.shtml

At this point, it's no surprise, but the RIAA's Cary Sherman has now confirmed that (as had been previously stated) the big ISPs (Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon) will be ready to kick off their "six strikes" plan this weekend. Apparently, the idea of actually giving the public a seat at the table, and looking into whether or not this made sense, wasn't seriously considered. Of course, none of this will do anything to bring revenue back to RIAA or MPAA members. It won't even do anything to stop infringement in the long term. As always, people will figure out ways around this. We've already seen the massive failure of an even stricter program, Hadopi, in France. Can anyone seriously claim that this will somehow work better in the US? Instead, it won't be long until we hear the stories of false accusations, or families who have their internet connection limited or locked down because a neighbor maybe downloaded some infringing content. Little Susie needs to do some research for her homework? Not tonight, kids. Hollywood has to teach you a lesson. Of course, the only real lesson is that the entertainment industry needs to stop blaming customers, and start looking inward, at its own failure to innovate. Pissing people off by limiting their internet connections is not a productive path forward.