[Infowarrior] - TSA agent spilled grandfather's ashes, laughs about it

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jun 26 10:58:11 CDT 2012

Man seeks apology; says TSA agent spilled grandfather's ashes

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/man-seeks-apology-says-tsa-agent-spilled-grandfath/nPfDK/

An Indianapolis man bringing his grandfather's ashes through a Central Florida airport is now asking for an apology from TSA officials and the worker who he says opened the jar and spilled it.

John Gross was going through airport security when he said an agent found the jar marked with the words "human remains" on it in his bag.

After explaining that it contained his grandfather's ashes, he said the TSA agent opened the jar and started using her finger to sift through it.

That's when, Gross said, she spilled it.

"She didn't apologize. She started laughing. I was on my hands and knees picking up bone fragments. I couldn't pick up all, everything that was lost. I mean, there was a long line behind me," said Gross.

Gross said about a quarter to a third of the contents spilled on the floor.

TSA rules say a crematory container in carry-on baggage must pass through the X-ray machine at the security checkpoint.

But, the agency's website says human remains are to be opened under "no circumstances."