[Infowarrior] - Shadow Boxing: Cyber Warfare and Strategic Economic Attack

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Jul 20 10:27:56 CDT 2012

Shadow Boxing: Cyber Warfare and Strategic Economic Attack

By Soren Olson

Abstract  Cyber threats make sitting ducks of U.S. critical resources and infrastructure. They could be especially deleterious to the petroleum supply chain. Safety nets such as USCYBERCOM have the appearance of providing cyber security, but the tendency is to stress what we can do to the enemy and downplay the ways the enemy can affect us. Along with a faddish approach to security, there is a peril in overlooking the degree to which cyber methods will be adversaries’ first choice within the changing character of war. Accordingly, protecting domestic infrastructure and crucial economic targets must claim as high a priority in strategic planning as nuclear weapons. Yet the difference is that the anonymity and decentralization of cyberwar could make deterrence impotent. Thus in place of active defense, we should focus on finding passive measures that evaluate friendly vulnerabilities, forming backup systems, discovering adversary cyber capabilities, and assigning attribution for cyber aggression.

http://www.ndu.edu/press/shadow-boxing.html#.UAl2KWayfqI.twitter