[Infowarrior] - Warner Bros. Just Keeps Pushing People To Piracy; New Deal Also Delays Queuing

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Jan 31 17:30:12 CST 2012

Warner Bros. Just Keeps Pushing People To Piracy; New Deal Also Delays Queuing

from the are-they-that-clueless? dept

Sometimes you really have to wonder about some legacy entertainment industry execs and their thought process. Warner Bros. is the most aggressively stupid when it comes to willfully going against what consumers want and pushing them to pirate instead. It, among the big Hollywood studios has been the leader in trying to hold back rentals in the bizarre belief that if people can't rent a video legally, they're suddenly more likely to pony up many times the amount to buy the full DVD. This is what we call denial. And economically clueless. The latest detail, which came out last week, is that one of WB's new conditions with its deal with Netflix isn't just that the rentals are delayed by 56 days (up from the previous 28), but that they won't even be able to put the delayed movie in their "wanted" queue until 28 days before it's actually available.

< -- >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120131/00110017595/warner-bros-just-keeps-pushing-people-to-piracy-new-deal-also-delays-queuing.shtml