[Infowarrior] - Comparing Privacy and Security Practices on Online Dating Sites

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Fri Feb 10 11:54:10 CST 2012

Comparing Privacy and Security Practices on Online Dating Sites

Concerned about your privacy when you use online dating sites? You should be. We recently examined 8 popular online dating sites to see how well they were safeguarding user privacy through the use of standard encryption practices. We found that the majority of the sites we examined did not take even basic security precautions, leaving users vulnerable to having their personal information exposed or their entire account taken over when using shared networks, such as at coffee shops or libraries. We also reviewed the privacy policies and terms of use for these sites to see how they handled sensitive user data after an individual closed her account. About half of the time, the site’s policy on deleting data was vague or didn't discuss the issue at all.

< - >

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/comparing-privacy-and-security-online-dating-sites