[Infowarrior] - It's all in the EULA fine print

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Tue Dec 4 11:21:59 CST 2012

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/04/feature_tech_licences_are_daft/

Adobe demands 7,000 years a day from humankind

It's all in the EULA fine print

By Bob Dormon

Posted in Applications, 4th December 2012 08:00 GMT

Feature I'm not a very good liar, I haven't got the memory for it, which is why it always pricks my conscience whenever I tick the yes box to the prompt "I have read and understood…" when installing software. I am, of course, fibbing. I never read a word. In fact, even though we all tick yes to these agreements every day, unless you're a legal bod, I doubt you could find anyone you know who could quote a single line from any of them.

Since the beginning of the year, I've been collecting licence agreements for all the software I've installed. The idea was to see just how many words I was being asked to read. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but as the pile for me to read grew, so, in inverse proportion, did my will to live. I could lie at this point and say I read them all, but instead, I opted for a few well-worn favourites.

Blind faith

Adobe Flash anyone? In recent years, the company has claimed it had eight million downloads a day and, before we get on to the maths, have you ever followed that link that took you a second to ignore as you ticked the "I have read and agree…" box?

< -- >

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/04/feature_tech_licences_are_daft/print.html