[Infowarrior] - Three little ICANN atrocities that make the ITU look good by comparison

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Dec 3 08:38:59 CST 2012

December 1, 2012
Three little ICANN atrocities that make the ITU look good by comparison

December 1st marks the beginning of the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai. Fussing about the threat to the Internet posed by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is reaching that state of critical mass where media outlets write about it mainly because other media outlets are writing about it. The tacit assumption behind much of this fussing is that the status quo, exemplified by ICANN and other “multi-stakeholder institutions,” is doing a wonderful job and we should strive to preserve them.

But the status quo is not so wonderful. In the past two weeks ICANN’s board and CEO have made decisions that are so bad they call into question its very legitimacy as an institution. And the governments participating in ICANN seem to be hell-bent on proving that the threat of arbitrary and uninformed governmental interference is more likely to come from inside ICANN than from the ITU.

Here are the disturbing facts

< -- >

http://www.internetgovernance.org/2012/12/01/three-little-icann-atrocities-that-make-the-itu-look-good-by-comparison/