[Infowarrior] - Stats Used To Support Cybercrime 'Threats' Just As Bogus As Hollywood's 'Loss' Claims

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Thu Aug 2 15:53:13 CDT 2012

The Stats Used To Support Cybercrime 'Threats' Just As Bogus As Hollywood's 'Loss' Claims

from the but-of-course... dept

While the latest attempt to pass a cybersecurity bill may be on ice for now, it'll be back... and with it there will be a lot more hyperbole about how urgent this is because of various massive "losses" already happening due to cybersecurity problems. Of course, nearly all of the numbers and claims you hear will be 100% bogus.

For years, we've highlighted stories about how the claims of "losses" from the entertainment industry due to infringement are completely fictitious. In the past, we've seen Julian Sanchez go on a hunt to find the origin of some of the numbers being thrown around, and come up with evidence that they're based on nothing. For example, claims of $200 billion in losses due to counterfeiting... came from a 1993 Forbes article that just makes that claim with no citation and no backing info. But it became gospel among those arguing there was as problem.

With Congress and the President continuing to insist that we need a cybersecurity bill, politicians have been tossing around all sorts of questionable numbers. Just a few weeks ago, we noted that General Keith Alexander, the head of the NSA, had tossed out some numbers and claimed that cybersecurity was the "greatest transfer of wealth in history." Considering that we're living through the aftermath of a financial meltdown that involved a massive transfer of wealth, I find the original claim difficult to believe. Plus, as we noted, he seemed to only cite studies from McAfee and Symantec, two companies who have a massive vested interest in keeping the cybersecurity FUD going, because it helps them sell stuff.

Thankfully, the folks over at Pro Publica decided to take a much closer look at the numbers politicians are relying on in support of the massive "harm" that is already being caused by online security issues... and discovered that the numbers are completely and totally bogus. In fact, the full story (which is fascinating) parallels (very closely) the story with "piracy" stats from the industry.

One popular number is "$1 trillion" in losses due to cybersecurity breaches. That number gets thrown around a lot by politicians (and many in the press who merely parrot such numbers unquestioningly, even as that gives those politicians more cover to claim that there's a reputable source supporting the number). Yet, the Pro Publica report highlights that, not only is this number bogus, but the (quite well respected) researchers who put together the original report for McAfee did not use that number and, more importantly, many of them spoke out publicly with surprise that McAfee put out a press release with such a number -- which they thought was questionable and not supported by their data.

In fact, there were a number of methodological problems, including that the data was based on a self-reported "average" amount of the "worth of sensitive information stored in offshore computer systems." Who knows if the respondents are being accurate, first of all, but even more to the point, the "worth" of such information is a highly subjective number. People can find something "worthwhile" without paying for it, but by focusing on the "worth," they obscure the fact that the market price may be quite different than what people think something is worth. And, what people think something is worth has zero impact on any actual losses. But, from a very small number, McAfee just sprinkled some magic pixie dust on the already questionable number, and proceeded to extrapolate, massively:

< -- >

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120802/02474519915/stats-used-to-support-cybercrime-threats-just-as-bogus-as-hollywoods-loss-claims.shtml